Sunday, August 1, 2010

World Breastfeeding Week

Breastfeeding is a subject near and dear to my heart. I remember the struggles I had trying to get Piper to latch correctly. How when I was visiting a lactation consultant she would nurse but we would completely fall apart when at home alone. That LC made me feel so inadequate. I felt like it was something that I should know how to do b/c I was a woman and now a mother. Feeding my child should come naturally. It doesn't always work that way for a lot of new mamas and my journey to breastfeeding ended 2 weeks later and I attached myself to a pump for the next 12 months rather than my daughter. My milk had gone away substantially at that time b/c I was 3 months pregnant with our Violet so I threw in the towel. Over the course of that pregnancy I was determined to make breastfeeding work no matter what. Since this was basically my first time as a nursing mama I saw lactation for 2 weeks after she arrived. We worked hard and I happily breastfed our Violet for the next 21 months. Suddenly I am not a person who believes that you magically don't need breast milk anymore when your babe turns a year old. Ruby is still nursing strong at 16 months. When will she stop? I don't know but why fix what isn't broken?





I love that there is a World Breastfeeding Week. Over the course of the next week I will happily visit other mama's blogs who are celebrating the week as I am. Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing and I love sharing my story with other ladies that maybe, like me, had a bad experience. I want to encourage them b/c it can be a very beautiful and fulfilling time in their lives, at least it has been for me.

"While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby." Amy Spangler

Jessie @ The Lucas Zoo

1 comments:

Birth Routes said...

Thank you for sharing, what a lovely photo!

I'm linking your post to my website www.birthroutes.com

Warmly,
Amber Morrisey

Search

Loading...

Grab Our Button

Follow Us

Follow by Email

Our Most Popular Posts!

National

Labels

9/11 9Round Adoption Animal Grossology at Discovery Place Animals Area Group attachment parenting awareness Babies baby blues Birthday Party Black Friday blessed Book Club Books Breastfeeding Business Calendar CentralPiedmontMommies Charlotte Style Exchange childbirth Children with Special Needs Chipotle Mexican Grill Christa Cakes Christine Watley Photography Cindy Holleman CLD Photography Club 35 Committee Community Community Outreach consignment sale contest Cookies Costumes coupons Craft Crafts cravings Crys Roeder cultural awareness month cultures Dance Party Dancing Moon Pilates Decorating Denver Design dietary restriction diversity Divorce Domestic Goddesses domestic godesses Domestic Violence Awareness Earth Day Easter eating Education Egg Hunt elementary elementary school Eleventy EnergyExplorium Entertainment Events Exercise experiment Fall Into Fitness Family Family Carnival fashion Fire Safety First Responders Fitness Fitness Friday flipping food allergy Forums fountains Fresh Expo Friendship frozen yogurt frugality fundraiser Game Night Gardening Gear Sale Giveaway graduation Green Thumbs Grief Halloween Happy New Year Harvey's in Cornelius health and wellness healthy Help Wanted hikingchic Holiday Homeschooling Hope House Huntersville Impact Fitness Infertility Insley Photography jumblzar Kat's Kid Sale Kids Can Dance Too kindergarten Lake Norman Gymboree LakeNormanMommies Lakenormanmommies.com Lakova Gymnastics leadership Letters for Newtown LGBT Little Dreamer Productions Lydia's Loft Mabel's Labels magnets Management March for Babies Marriage May Is For Mothers meg-art Member Relations membership Memorial Military Miscarriage Moderator Mom of the Week Mom's Night Out Moment of Silence Mommies In Business Mommies Talk mommy wars moms on the clock Moms with Special Needs Mooresville Town Square Mother's Day Motherhood Movies Multiples National Auction National Forum natural living Networking Nursery Opinions organization paci Park Perfect Fit Pets photography play date Plaza Appliance Mart podanize post-partum depression potty training PPD Pre K Birthdays pregnancy Premature Birth Premium Membership preschool prune Racing Wives Reading Rebecca Duerr Recipes recycle Relationships safety Santa Letters Santa Pictures Save the Date Savings Scavenger Hunt School Supply Drive science self defense Separation servant leadership Sherrills Ford shopping Single Moms smarttereachday Snow SnowflakesForSandyHook social media sponsors Spring Into Shape Stillborn storking storytime Strawberry Picking summer Support Tech Talk Terrell thanksgiving The Artisan Market the big picture The Mommies Network The Tree This Week with the Mommies toddlers top ten Toy Trade Traditions Triplets Trunk or Treat Turning Pointe Music & Dance Center Twins vacation Valentines Day Valeria Salon and Spa Vendor Fair Veterans Day vocabulary volunteer webinar Weigh-In Challenge Wordless Wednesday Yard Sale Yoga Young Mommies Zinga Zoo